Bisexual awareness week

There's nothing more annoying than a person trying to tell you your sexuality. I've had it before, middle-aged straight white men, telling me that I'm not bisexual, I'll find myself a man and settle down. I'm so bored of people trying to tell me who I am and how I feel, of them invalidating my sexuality because it's none of my business. The only thing that matters, at the end of the day, is happiness. My happiness is not defined by gender. I love for love and that's it. So, on this week which is, you'll know it if you've read the title, bisexual awareness week, I thought I'd talk a little bit about bisexuality and what it means to me.



Unicorns are a majestic and bisexual creature. 

Firstly, let's talk about some common misconceptions.

Have I dated a girl before? No, but that does not invalidate the fact that I am attracted to women and would date one. I've just been bogged down in dating men and in recent years, I've been single. 

If I chose to spend the rest of my life with a man, am I still bisexual? YES, of course, I am. 

Would I date somebody that doesn't necessarily define themselves as a man or woman? Of course, I would, I know you think bisexual means two but bisexual people don't really define themself that way. If you think they do, then it's you who needs informing on things. 

Do I choose the gender I'm interested in? No, but fun fact, if guys f*** you around then you'll eventually stop noticing guys and want something else. This may not be true for everybody but it's true for me. I'm on the market for women, if I nice guy wants to try then fine, I won't say no but you've gotta be something special to prove to me your gender deserves more of my time. 

Bisexuals aren't greedy.
Bisexuals aren't confused.
Bisexuals aren't gay but denying it.  

If you ask me for a threesome just because I'm bisexual, you're dirt. Just because I like multiple genders does not mean I'm interested in having sex with more than one person. (I'm not saying threesomes are bad, just the assumption that bisexual people will participate in them.)

Bisexuality does not exclude transgender people in the slightest. This is a misconception. 

The difference between bisexuality and pansexuality is well, mostly personal preference. Bisexuality is the attraction to multiple genders. Pansexuality is an attraction regardless of gender. So, the difference is mainly, bisexuals can have a type or preference within gender, like you like a particular kind of man. Does that make sense? Whereas Pansexuals obviously are regardless of gender, so they don't have a type. I'm not sure about that but this is the kinda definition I've come to learn. For me, I'm not really convinced. People can define themself as whatever they want to, so as long as they're happy. I like to think of it in terms of the picture below. 
I'm always calling myself queer and gay. Obviously, you can't go around calling everybody queer or gay but I refer to myself as that all the time. Queer is an umbrella term. It may have been used as a slur but reclaim it. If I need to insult my friends I usually call them straight. I find it hilarious. 

Right, bisexuals are not attracted to everybody. Just like not all gay people are attracted to all men, like no? Are all straight people attracted to everybody of the opposite sex? No. Get a life.

Bisexuals are not more likely to cheat on you. Cheating is about the person, not the sexuality, so please, don't assume just because I'm attracted to multiple genders there's a higher chance of me cheating. It doesn't work like that. Even if there is a higher number of people to sleep with, it doesn't work like that otherwise we'd all be slutting it up every damn day. This is an extremely negative image to the bisexual community and really offensive. 

Bisexual people are not half-straight, half-gay. It doesn't work like that. 

Do you pick a side? No, not even if you marry somebody of the opposite sex. You're not picking a side (gender) you're picking a person for love. 

Bisexuality isn't an experiment. 

There are so many stereotypes within the straight and LGBT+ community in regards to bisexuality like we're too straight for gay people and too gay for straight people but this is stupid and needs to stop. 


Bisexuals are attracted to multiple-genders.


This blog post is so unstructured and well, messy, but I just needed to clear up a few things. I'm not constantly annoyed by these things but if you keep on misinterpreting my sexuality and not doing your utmost to inform yourself, I'm not going to waste my time on you. It's not hard. If you want to know more about me and my 'journey' to discovering my bisexuality, check out my first ever post A Queer Time. 

As ever, thank you so much for visiting my blog and taking the time to read this post.

Tiffani. x

Comments

Popular Posts